Thursday, February 5, 2009

I'M TOO YOUNG

Well, I think many of you know that I found out I have arthritis in my spine. When I think of arthritis, I think of grandparents, not a 28 year old woman like myself. I definitely contribute the lack of cartilage and the presence of swelling and bone spurs to the 12 years I have spent in the military. All the heavy lifting and heavy equipment I've had to wear really did a number on me. My doctor recommended physical therapy to strengthen my back and hopefully relieve some of the pain so I said o.k., anything to ease this aggravating daily pain. At my first appointment I learned a lot of things and it's no wonder my back hurts almost all of the time. Not only do I have arthritis, but the left side of my hip is higher than the right and get this.... my thoracic and lumbar spine are rotated to the right. Hmmm... how that happened I don't know but it sucks. The muscle and tissues in the left side of my back are so tight that my physical therapists were even suprised. Now I have to do all these wonderful exercises and I get deep tissue rubs mixed with ultrasound therapy. Since all of that started, my back hurts even more. I guess it's not used to being forced into sitting the way it should be. Who knows what the deal is, but hopefully all this therapy will make it feel better. I'm not even 30 yet, so if this keeps up I'll have the body of a 60 year old in no time.
Ok, enough about that. Dominik got seen by the Health and Welfare folks for his speech issue. They said he's definitely behind on his communication skills so someone will be working with him to improve that. The good news is that he is way ahead on his motor skills such as walking stairs, jumping, stacking blocks etc. I know he's really a smarty pants and understands everything you say, he just doesn't want to talk for some reason. Last night they taught him how to sign "more" with his hands. He picked up on it right away and now does it when he wants more snacks or whatever. It's so darn cute!! I plan on teaching him a couple more signs and then hopefully he'll be talking soon.
Other than that, work and school and motherhood are keeping me extremely busy, so I haven't done anything fun or interesting. I guess I'll get ready for work tomorrow. Later!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That really stinks about the arthritis and the back problems. I hope the therapy will begin working. For some dumb reason my link to your site always went to the very first post and I thought you hadn't been posting... Anyway, now that I know it, I'll be checking to see how things are going. I'm glad to hear that someone will be helping with the speech and am not at all surprised that Dom is ahead with his motor skills. He's no dummy.

    ReplyDelete